Wednesday, January 28, 2009

New Crush

The foreign university gives one big benefit to its students. The sports facilities are excellent. It took me a semester to figure that out. Big gyms, lots of courts, lots of tables. Most of them indoor with good lighting and of course heating.

So the new crush is Badminton. Not that I played the sport a lot in India. Sonu would know better. But the courts are great and the fee is also modest around 20 $ a semester. And not a bad workout for three days a week.

So on sunday I decided to hit the court. Surprisingly only five us turned up. I was the unlucky one to be left standing with my new racket. Half an hour. At last a chapti turned up. I lost all hopes now. But she is a nice girl. She approaches me to play. And mahoorat nikle aaya.

At first I thought I should play softly but soon found that she knew where to place the shuttle on the court. I realized its all about placing the shuttle on the court. Soon a Desi arrived. Looks an undergrad. The chapti retires to a phone call. The Desi looked a good player. He just kept smashing my serves back into my body. Sometimes his tricky play forced me to fetch the shuttle and serve again. I was really pissed the way he played, looking to win every point. But then good players treat every opportunity of practice to prepare themselves for the game situation. And had he been feeding me with easier strokes, may be I would not have learnt anything at all.

Soon we were joined by an amro couple for a doubles match. No problems with them. Though I am new to the doubles thing but I won a couple of points on my own. The couple looked a good pair, but our Desi hero was too good for them. 

Finally one and half hours of fun finally ended. I had my right thumb's skin peeled of badly. The aggreso Desi seems to be a nice guy. He offers me a ride home. With a little bit of social engineering I came to know that he is a Phd i mechanical and has been working here for last three years. Surely, he looks a real nerd like Balaji. 

During the ride back home in night we seemed to lost our way. On one crossing we went in all the directions except from the one we actually came to that crossing. His name is Sudarshan and he is from Madras. 'Madras' I thought. Most of them reply 'Chennai'. Surely he has been around long enough. We finally reached our apartment with a little bit of hit and try.

Let's see how long the crush lasts!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment