Sunday, January 11, 2009

Some Desi Qualities

So the same old Heathrow, London. But this time I am happy to be in comfortable situation. Change time 8 hrs, lots of shops to eat, news on big TFTs and of course girls to ogle. A computer science graduate student could not have asked for more.

Heathrow is one place where a lot of Indians and people from subcontinent work. This shows that the number of people from subcontinent in London is huge. Stories about London being second India are sadly but true. I can't say brain drain, now that I am also a part of it, but it directly emphasizes on the inability of our country to provide opportunities to people from all walks of life.

So what are the qualities of Desi people. So the story goes like this. I am waiting for my flight to Delhi at Heathrow. Papa gave me strict instructions to check for the check-in baggage. These airlines can be very unpredictable when it comes to transferring of check-in baggages. I approached the gori lady and asked if my only bag had been put on the plane. She confirmed and I was at peace. Then I began to stroll near the boarding gate. A Desi man in his late 50s approached me and asked why I was talking to the lady. You girl friend uh? I thought. I told him why and he quietly went back to his seat. But then after five minutes he appears with his wrinkled face and asks me if he should also verify his bag. Pooch aayo Uncleji, par mera sir mat khayo. This was my reply of course not the sentence after par. If this wasn't enough. Another Desi London, who was overhearing our conversation, comes and asks me what was I telling the old man. I painfully had to repeat the story. He then shot back and asked whether he should also do the same. I asked him where did he checked his bags. He said from Heathrow. God save me from these Desi Londons. Such an oxymoron. Go and be damned. The bottom line is that all Desis are very watchful and observe everything you do and they are insane enough to actually do that themselves if an opportunity exists.

The second incident is even more funnier and my father just couldn't stop himself from laughing uncontrollably. Joking. But this one amused me no bounds. After tackling the two I was strolling around to find a place to sit. As there are too many Desis in London, so there is no place to sit. So I decided to stand in front of the boarding counter. Well, middle aged Goris are decent enough to ogle at. Soon I am joined by another Desi London and an Uncleji. Sooner One by one people begin to approach me ask if there is queue. To the first four enquirers, I said no. But soon I turned back to see a very long queue of only Desis behind me. Thereafter whoever came and enquired me I just sent them to the back of the queue. Bottom line Desis assume things very fast.

Two days at Heathrow have made me fall in love with the place. Its one of the busiest airports but more importantly it feels like a small town similar to the ones in India. With so many Desis around it feels like your own place. I want to see London some day and know is London also similar to Heathrow.

May my wish come true some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment