Friday, February 27, 2009

A week of unfortunate

Though I have never felt at home with this place and I think I would be saving my ass all the time that's left but this week surely stands out. It was a week pain, misery and SHOCKS.

Let's begin. Monday went through safely. I was avoiding this Chapta Prof. as he would be delegating some of the correction of the mid-term to which i am the TA. Being a TA is very interesting feeling altogether. I can now imagine the plight of the ME students in my college whom we used to mock. Though I was the nicer guys and showed them some respect but looked them with contempt at times. Life's sure is vicious circle!

So the dread mail came the Tuesday morning. Check all copies ASAP and return them by Wednesday. If that was not enough he refused to give me the key. Checking 85 copies is a lot of work. I guess more than 20 hours. I really felt screwed that day. Fucking idiot was away on conference for a week and puts the whole load on me. How do I find 20 hours in one day, when I have classes and then Badminton. The other instructor, who is a Desi, also showed a lot of attitude. Just on previous Friday she was all ready to share the correction work. But now she tells me that "I am an 'INSTRUCTOR' ". I suppose she might just be a half TA, but she is acting like a boss. Screw anybody if you get an opportunity. I guess someone might have done the same to her. Academia Sucks. 

Slowly I reconciled to the fact that I can't get around this unjustified work load. But checking 85 copies in one day is impossible. Fuck that idiot. Somehow worked in the night uptill 2:30 am and checked around first 2 questions. Next day I put him a mail that it wasn't possible for me to do meet his deadline. Again fuck him.

Wednesday went off peacefully. Except for the late night class OS. The Prof. for the course is a another Desi, perhaps a more lazier person than me. My Mamma knows that the previous statement is as true as the stars in the night sky. Nevertheless would not take his classes on there allocated times and keeps the extra class on Wednesday nights. He screws up my whole week.

Thursday morning is peaceful except for Balaji's stench. I have gotten used to it. Jagdish put some of our letters in our room the other night. Correction work is on time and I am busy working out some assignment problems for Networks. Curiously I check the pile for "SOME LETTERS" for me. And volla!! There is one from the bank. Great!! A letter from bank in almost 6 months. What!!! Three unknown online transactions. Nearly $400 gone with phone calls and web transactions. Phone transactions!!!! Even my father did not know if you could do that. I am all panicked and race to the bank, not sure what to ask for there. If that was not enough $83 more evaporate. Thankfully the lady at customer service was very helpful. She helped me file affidavits and assured me that I would my money back. She told me that this common here. Good Lord!! Anybody's hands in your pocket.  

In evening I narrated the whole event to Jagdish. His enormous understanding of the system here was very helpful in knowing what might have happened. His advice is always very helpful. I really sometimes wonder what would I have done or survived for that matter here.

I kicked the butt and went to play badminton in evening. Broke the strings. Almost all. Rajat joked saying that "GREAT PLAYERS BREAK STRINGS MORE OFTEN". Great player or a bad armature. The other day I had checked, it was fine. Fuck this week. It takes $23 to get new strings. Only consolation was that I played the doubles better than the most times. Even the chapta appreciated. Even the amro girl shook my hand, introduced herself and asked my name. 

Then the rest of the night I spent in completing the correction work. The body was beginning to loose it now, with still the last question remaining. Woke up early next morning and checked some more. Then the Desi calls up saying that Chapta has promised to show the copies today. Fuck him and her also. I was in such an inebriated state that I could hardly talk to anyone with some dignity. Anyways I was able to finish the work by 1 pm. Went and enjoyed the footlong at the Subway. 

I kept the evening for my friend from Pakistan, Asad. I planned with him to see a movie at the HUB. Asad was one of the few people that I had some interaction with in the first semester. I just lost contact with him since returning back from India. The movie was so abstract that I could hardly understand anything. Also could not decipher "QUANTUM OF SOLACE". I guess I should just go home and sleep and hope that the next week would be a tad better. We had pizza . Talked about cricket. And some usual guys stuff. Soon Madhav and his friends arrived. Felt a little better now.


Only hope that nothing of this happens again, so that I do not have to write such a blog and you people do not have to read a big one.




No comments:

Post a Comment