Saturday, June 6, 2009

An Eventful Week

So after three weeks of lull the storm arrived. Yeah it was getting boring, after perhaps the most eventful semester( read four months ) of my student life ended. But it brought a lot of bad blood but some more fun as well.

So my adviser was after my ass from the beginning of the week. I had to set up the system for HIS paper and I had not done it as yet. And then understand the code. This is perhaps the MOST difficult thing for me. Understanding some one else's CODE. It fucks the mind. But I am in CSE and this is supposed to be my strengths. Too bad. Anyways this kept me occupied for the whole week. Good break from freebies I guess.

If that was not enough our electricity was shut off on Wednesday. Now electricity shut-offs is one of the most CATASTROPHIC things that can happen to you in AMERICA. I mean we as Desis are used to live without any power for days but if you have lived in US for nine months it is painful as hell. No power means no gas. No gas means no cooking. Implies you are practically homeless. All this happened because Balaji did not deposit the bill on time. What followed was even more uglier. Jagdish and Balaji just went over the boil. There were different versions of facts from both of them, each accusing each other of something. Jagdish threatened, I suppose, to move on this weekend for good. For the first time I did not feel voilated by Balaji, but jaded. May be the news of his moving out. After all he's been my only support system here. I always looked him as my elder brother( I do not have one ). Anyways the whole issue got so blown out that my Papa was worried back home. Electricity returned yesterday night but I guess we guys need to sit and sort things out.     

I never tried sleeping in my lab, but this time did just that. I just heard that one of my friends was doing just that for a few days now, but didn't think I would do the same some days later. I joined three chairs and slept, though uncomfortably. First night was difficult, second one easier and I expect tonight would be even better. 

So finally Friday arrived. After spending the whole day configuring LDAP, I went to my friend's house to have a good sleep. We had fun. We made ARBI. And ARBI and rice is not the greatest combination but if you do not get home food for three days I guess everything tastes great. It indeed did. I think we would cook some better combination next time. And I learnt to cook the vegetables. 

The sleep was just great. Eight hours of winking was very refreshing, though with another GUY by side. I guess not everybody is lucky.

So I returned home in the morning. There was ELECTRICITY in our house now. A bath and half an hour of yoga was soothing. A lot of stuff had rotten badly. I decided to cook. Opened up a can of  BEANS. And very casually tried to get rid of the lid. And?? Ouch the RING finger in the right finger was cut rather badly. Blood spurted out even faster than the pain pulse reaching my brain for it to process it. And I was scurrying around for help. Just hate blood. I did the old trick of putting the finger in mouth, but the blood would not stop. There are no band-aids and Balaji is useless. I woke up Jagdish. He told to put the finger in cold water and let it CLOT. I called up my friend but no wail. Finally caught the first bus to campus and bought a pack of band-aids to relieve myself. 

I ended the day with a nice ice-cream treat with Guntas at the CREAMERY. It is a very famous ice-cream parlor here. They serve you a hell lot of it. It is difficult for SOME to drain it down their throats. The guy is a foodie like me. Then we went to Walmart. All the time we just kept chuckling and ogling at the girls. Reminded me of the days when I did the same with Karun.

There's more to write but I do not want to bore the reader out.

No comments:

Post a Comment