Friday, June 12, 2009

Getting a good hang of security now

I have read a lot on security in last month. Research sometimes is very frustrating. Sometimes nothing seems to be working and sometimes many things in the jigsaw seem to come together. Its a constant process and does not come easily in a week or two. Though I have not started any RESEARCH but I think it would not be any different than what I have just mentioned. The key is to spend daily 5-6 hours.

Read a lot about web security. I was especially impressed with the work of Niels Provos. His paper on simulating the low level layers in Operating Systems and Networks to create a LAN of subvert machines to gather traffic information for security analysis was the most remarkable paper I have ever read. Not that it had something great but the idea and its implementation was special. I went on to read with other works in Google on web security such as classification of malicious URL's. The more I read, the more I am getting addicted. Got to be careful!!

But anyways I was very impressed with Google's organization of their E-learning modules at http://code.google.com/edu . It looks very professional and gives a feel of a university. Gosh if I could give one piece of advice to students back in India it would be to really imbibe the material at this site. Not that it would make any sense now, but they would not have to struggle like me to find good project ideas. Trust me its really good.

Wish I could meet Niels Provos some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment