Friday, June 26, 2009

Farmer's Market

The weather is sticky. Just bought a 140$ book after a lot of thought and haggling about the BUY BACK price. Books are always an investment worth making especially if the book isn't available back home. 

Thinking of making a side dish of vegetables today. I think I can pull this one of given the success in the earlier part of the week. So I bought the potatoes from the Farmer's Market. I had to search for them and mind wondered to buy cauliflower for gobhi parathas. But do not have a shredder at home. I finally zeroed in on the potatoes. I told the lady that I would buy them but she told that she can't sell anything before 11:30 am. Luckily my watch showed 11:30 but she went by her own time. So I was kept waiting for around 5-6 minutes.

I looked at the people selling their goods. These people are very simple people. You can make out from the way dress. Simple country side clothing nothing too flashy and flaunting. Most of them do not wear any footwear and their hands and feet are rough. Even the lady selling the potatoes has rough feet. Reminds me of the sabziwala in our market. The potatoes are priced reasonably at 4$. Other shops sell like bread, cookies, green vegetables and flowers. Its fascinating to move around with different aromas of food at different places in the market.

The whole point is we buy most of our stuff at Walmart or Weiss or whatever shopping outlet. We really do not benefit any individual there. All we do is pass our money to some retailer. We do not bother about people who get us that food in first place. Its just buy and enjoy for us. And for them as well. But it would be nice to go and just buy some stuff from such markets once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment