Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Late night bus

The last bus to Waupelini leaves at 2:30 am on Saturdays and Fridays. And its so because the apparent culture here is that people drink and booze on these nights. So they have late night buses. They can cater to the boozing people but not the more sincere ones who like to read late in the night at their office. Anyways from past few weeks I have made a point to catch this last bus. And on Saturday I finally managed to talk to an American girl.

Not a great thing to write about. The bus stop is crowded with rowdy people all making a lot of noise. Sometimes I feel scared. Not that anybody would heckle me or mess with me, but it feels so different and intimidating at first. I have been on this bus three times now but I still feel uncomfortable. Strange same people would be polite at one time and aggressive once boozed out.

So the bus arrives and a lot of people are in queue to get into the bus. While anybody is dressed in their party wares, I am in my pyjama and inners whose sleeves showed from my half sleeves T-shirt. And if that wasn't enough I am also carrying a school bag. Anyways keeping all these inhibitions to myself, I swipe the card and enter the bus to find a seat. I can't find a seat with someone 'quite'. So I insert myself by the window seat. Soon a group of three girls appear and look around and one of them sits by me. They look drunk. Not sure. But I am more nervous now. I look outside to comfort myself. But constant appearance of 'such' people does not allow me to look outside.

She finally said 'Hello' and I replied hiding all my nervousness. She asks if I was going home. I confirm that. She asked where do I study. I can't here that. She then points to the bag and asks a little louder. I replied 'IST'. 'Its a nice building' is her opinion. She is talking something to her friend which I can't hear. Probably about someone at the back of the bus. Meanwhile my stop arrived and she bids me 'Good Night'. I replied ' Same to You'. Could not come with anything better like ' You too'. Same old and out of context expression that I give every-time. 

I plan to continue this routine. I guess no better chance to get over that fear. And no better chance to talk to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment